Kyiv city

Andriivskyi uzviz street, 13A

Mikhail Bulgakov Literary and Memorial Museum

Cultural, educational and research institution for the study and popularization of M. Bulgakov's work and the culture of Ukraine. The museum is engaged in educational, exhibition, scientific, publishing activities, project management, creating and implementing original projects for this purpose. The prototype of the estate, in which the Bulgakov family rented an apartment in 1906-1919, appeared in the first half of the 19th century. On the watercolor by M. Sazhyn, which dates back to the end of the 1840s, you can distinguish a small house leaning against the foot of the Uzdihalnytsia mountain. First, there was a one-story house with a wooden roof, a cellar and an outbuilding. Partially rebuilt, the house has survived to our time - it houses the "Under the Linden" cafe. From the street and partly from the side of the historical Uzdykhalnytsy mountain, the site was surrounded by a fence with a gate and a gate. Estate No. 18-20 (in 1898, when the numbering of houses on many Kyiv streets changed, it received the modern No. 13) was formed from two adjacent plots; No. 18 belonged to the priest's wife Maria Prokopovicheva, No. 20 to the burgher Ivan Medvedev. In the second half of the 1880s, the manor was owned by the provincial secretary Fedor Medvedev. On May 4, 1888, Medvedev sold the plot to Vera Lytoshenko, the wife of Maksym Lytoshenko, a merchant of the 2nd guild. The area of the manor was 229 square fathoms. The new landlady immediately took up the maintenance. She submits a request for permission to build a wooden "two-story house on a stone mezzanine." The author of the project is architect Mykola Gardenin. Ms. Vira's next requests are to "permit... on the second floor of my house under construction to be covered with brick," to make an iron roof, "to permit the construction of an outbuilding." Since the outbuilding is being built at the foot of the mountain, Lytoshenko asks for and receives permission to remove part of the slope, gives a signature that he will not have claims "in case the mountain slides." She arbitrarily annexed part of the free city land to the manor, later contributed funds, and at the end of 1892 the area of the manor (three houses and two barns) was equal to 350.5 square meters. 2-story, and often 3-story. The first and second floors are stone, the third floor is wooden, the walls of the third floor are partly covered with brick, and partly plastered, under an iron roof. A housewife lived in the apartment on the third floor, where "7 rooms, 2 front rooms, 1 kitchen" In 1902, Lytoshenko sold the estate on Andriyivskyi Uzvoz to Zakhary Myrovych, 13, an honorary citizen of the city of Kyiv, who probably made some changes to the planning - the wooden gallery of the main house (veranda, where tea parties are now held) turned into a glass one. The annual income he received for renting apartments was 2,892 rubles. The most expensive - 720 rubles a year - was the one rented by the Bulgakov family since 1906. In the fall of 1909, the estate was bought by an engineer, the future architect of the Kyiv educational district, Vasiliy Listovnichy. All real estate was valued at 22,250 rubles, the main house at 13,000 rubles (the valuation in 1892 was 7,007 rubles 84 kopecks). The new owner and his family occupied the first floor of the main building, in the same two-room apartment No. 1 was the drawing workshop of the architectural office. In the basement there was a grocery store of the merchant Shayter. General Komarnytsky lived with his family in the middle of the house, and the janitor's apartment was in the basement. In the third house (it was dismantled in 1993, in its place is now a summer playground) the family of merchant Grobynskyi lived. The new owner took up the improvement of the manor - dug up the yard under the Bulgakov kitchen and bathroom and built an auxiliary brick building under the yard; installed the stairs to the attic; on a mountain that threatened landslides, he planted lilac and acacia bushes, and surrounded the entire estate with a fence. In June 1919, an honorary citizen of the city of Kyiv Vasiliy Pavlovich Listovnychy was arrested for so-called "counter-revolutionary activities" by the Bolshevik authorities. He wrote his will, in which he transfers ownership of real estate to his daughter Inna Listovnichy, while in Lukyaniv prison. He never returned home from there. After nationalization in 1919, plot No. 13 was denationalized in 1922, and the owners of the estate became Yadviga Viktorivna and Inna - the widow and daughter of Listovnichy. The Bulgakovs left their apartment in 1919. During the Second World War, Inna Vasilievna, along with her husband Mykola Konchakovsky and son Valery, hid Maria Gorbachevskaya and the Slavenzon family from the Nazis at Andriiivsky Uzvoz, 13 from the Jews. However, according to the memories of Valery Konchakovsky, the residents of the second floor - Sofia, Leib, Toiba Kaplun died in Babiny Yar. Apartment No. 2 remained empty, in 1942 or 1943 Inna Vasylivna's family moved from the first to the second floor and continued to maintain the entire manor. In 1951, the real estate became the property of the state, Soviet "communals" appeared. The number of residents in the former manor reached 70, in the old in the photos, we can see the main thing on the door of the building, mailboxes with numbers 8 and 9. There was a significant re-planning of the premises, for example, a room appeared on the landing of the second floor, which in the 1950s was occupied by the famous chess player Iser Kuperman. Nekrasov's "House of the Turbynykhs", after which the real pilgrimage to Andriyivskyi Uzviz began, 13. On the walls of the house where the future writer lived, the inscriptions "Bulgakov's House" constantly appeared. At that time, the house was in a state of disrepair and needed major repairs. On February 9, 1989, the Kyiv authorities signed a decree on the creation of the Literary Memorial Museum of M. Bulgakov. Residents of communal apartments got their own housing, in the fall of 1989 Iryna Konchakovska, the granddaughter of Vasyl Listovnychy, was the last to leave the house - exactly 100 years after the construction was completed. The architect Iryna Malakova was the author of the project for the restoration of the manor house and the building of the future museum, and she also managed the works. The most difficult task was to preserve the second floor - the memorial apartment. The restoration work, restoration of the layout of the memorial floor was completed by May 1991, when one hundred years had passed since Bulgakov's birthday. On May 15, 1991, the first visitors to the museum had the opportunity to feel the space of the house - to walk through the clean and empty rooms of the apartment where the future writer lived with his family, and where he housed the characters of his first Kyiv novel. In May 1993, five exhibition rooms were opened, in December 1993 – two more rooms. Kira Pitoeva will be the author of the scientific concept of the museum, Albert Kryzhopolskyi, winner of the State Prize of the Ukrainian SSR, will be the artist. The exhibition is based on materials from the collection of the M. Bulgakov Museum. The Bulgakov Literary Memorial Museum would like to thank Tetiana Konchakovskaya for her help in creating the exhibition and providing photos from the family archive.