Kyiv city

Tarasa Shevchenko boulevard, 12

Taras Shevchenko National Museum

The house, which houses the museum, is a monument of architecture of the first half of the XIX century. It was built in the early 1840s, at one time it belonged to different people: General of Cavalry Alferov, Kiev Mayor Pavel Demidov, Prince of San Donato. In 1875, the house was acquired by sugar industrialist and philanthropist Nikolai Tereshchenko. According to his order, the building was rebuilt according to the project of architects Peter Fedorov and Alexander Beretti's student Romuald Tustavsky. As a result of painstaking work, the building turned into a luxurious palace in the style of the Italian Neo-Renaissance. In 1933, on the basis of the literary museum, which operated at the Taras Shevchenko Institute in Kharkiv, the Art Gallery of T. G. Shevchenko. In 1939, on the 125th anniversary of the poet's birth, the Republican Jubilee Shevchenko Exhibition was organized in Kyiv in the house of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR. In 1940, the Council of People's Commissars of the USSR decided to organize in Kyiv on the basis of the Republican Jubilee Shevchenko Exhibition the Central State Museum of Shevchenko, concentrating here all the original materials related to the life and work of Taras Shevchenko. The expositions of the museum were opened in the premises of the Marin Palace in 1941, with the outbreak of the war activities were suspended. Before the German occupation, the most valuable exhibits were evacuated to Novosibirsk. The Taras Shevchenko State Museum appeared in this building after the Second World War - it was opened on April 24, 1949. The original appearance of the building - with all its inherent architectural features - was returned after the scientific restoration of 1985-1989. The updated exposition opened in 2014. The museum presents originals of painting heritage and memorial objects of Taras Shevchenko.